Yamaha’s Next-gen 88-key Stage Piano
The Yamaha CP88 represents the definitive evolution of the stage piano with enhanced portability, ease of use, and state-of-the-art sound. “CP” stands for Combo Piano, and the CP lineage goes back to 1976, when Yamaha first tackled the challenge of electrifying the sound of an acoustic grand piano. Flash forward to today, where Yamaha’s advanced technology sets the standard for digital pianos in an instrument that incorporates the company’s century-plus of piano craftsmanship and over four decades of synthesizer innovation. The CP88 puts it all together, with authentic acoustic and electric piano sounds, responsive grand piano touch, and an intuitive one-to-one user interface.
Premium Natural Wood Graded Hammer keybed
The CP88’s NW-GH (Natural Wood Graded Hammer) 88-note keyboard is designed for the discerning pianist requiring fast, accurate touch response. Triple-sensor, natural wood keys provide grand piano weighting and response while synthetic ebony and ivory keytops absorb moisture and provide tactile grip during lengthy sessions and live gigs. Pianists at Sweetwater love the natural feel and response of these keys, and if you came up playing acoustic pianos, you will too.
Amazing grand piano sounds for any musical setting
The Yamaha CP88 stage piano gives you three premium grand pianos: Yamaha’s own world-class CFX and S700 concert grands, as well as the inimitable Bösendorfer Imperial 290. These pianos provide full dynamic expression and nuance through meticulous recording and voicing.
With over 17 years of continuous development, the CFX is Yamaha’s flagship 9-foot concert grand piano, and it delivers sparkling highs, crisp midrange, and robust bass with prodigious dynamic range and the volume to project over a full symphony orchestra. Handcrafted by Yamaha master artisans, the S700 has the clarity and power to cut through dense arrangements, while remaining delicate and expressive in solo and sparser musical settings.
Bösendorfer is the only piano maker still building their instruments in the Viennese handcrafted design tradition. This results in pianos boasting the characteristic “Viennese Sound,” with warm bass, singing treble, and rich overtones. The 8-octave, 9.5-foot Imperial 290 is Bösendorfer’s awe-inspiring flagship grand. The Imperial’s extended bass range resonates with every key you strike, and its massive soundboard projects emphatically at all frequencies.
Characterful uprights for tracking
When you’re working with thick arrangements, an upright piano will oftentimes be the right choice. The CP88 has two uprights onboard, and they’re no slouches. Yamaha’s flagship SU7 acoustic upright serves up rich, resonant tone, while the Yamaha U1 — one of the most popular acoustic pianos on the planet — makes its appearance as a meticulous sample of a characterful vintage U1 — ideal for any music crying for the sound and vibe of an upright.
Vintage EPs for every occasion
The CP88’s arsenal of vintage electric pianos kicks off with the Yamaha’s beloved CP80. First introduced in 1978, the CP80 was designed to cut through a live band with its wide dynamic range and fat, powerful sound. On the funkier side of things, the CP88’s 75 Rd is a funky, dirty tine electric piano dripping with vibe and character. The 76 Rd is a high-quality tine EP suitable for all music genres. The 73 Rd has a warm, mellow, vintage tine sound ideal for ballads and accompanying singers. Lastly, the Wr is a classic reed electric piano offering vintage and modern versions with broad dynamic range.
Organs, clavinets, synths, and more
The CP88 also features a wide variety of other keyboard sounds — including tonewheel, transistor, and pipe organs; clavinet, FM pianos, and more — to cover any playing style. Also onboard are synth sounds for covering any musical situation. Split, layer, and solo fat, punchy basses, searing leads, warm pads, brilliant brass, lush strings, and more. The one-to-one CP control interface gives you real-time interaction for instant sound creation.
Expandability via regular OS updates
Out of the box, the CP88 delivers ultra-realistic piano and keyboard sounds — everything you need for professional recording sessions and live gigs. But with the needs of the modern musician in mind, it also features a new system with regular OS updates that will contain new high-quality content designed to complement the CP88’s original soundset.
Yamaha CP88 88-key Stage Piano Features:
- Triple-sensor NW-GH (Natural Wood Graded Hammer) keyboard, synthetic ebony and ivory keytops
- AWM2 tone generator, 128-voice polyphony
- 57 voices, including 10 pianos, 14 EPs, and 33 sub voices (strings, organs, pads, synths, etc.)
- Dedicated effects and effects controls for each section (Piano, E Piano, and Sub)
- Master delay, reverb, and EQ effects with dedicated real-time controls
- Soundmondo social sound sharing provides access to thousands of free sounds
- Seamless Sound Switching: change sounds while holding notes without sound cutoff
- Graphical LCD (128 x 64 pixels)
- One-to-one UI for direct sound control during stage or studio performance
- 2-channel USB audio/MIDI interface for audio recording/playback and MIDI control
- Balanced XLR and unbalanced 1/4" stereo outputs
- Dual 1/4" aux line inputs
- Includes FC3A piano-style sustain pedal with half-pedaling
- Sound Engine:AWM2
- Number of Keys:88
- Type of Keys:Natural Wood Graded, Hammer Action
- Touch Sensitivity:Normal, Soft, Hard, Wide, Fixed
- Polyphony:128 Notes
- Presets:10 pianos, 14 E-pianos, 33 Sub voices
- Effects:Master Delay, Reverb, and EQ effects (for Piano, E Piano, and Sub)
- MIDI Recording:2 Channel USB Audio/MIDI interface
- Audio Inputs:2 x 1/4" (R/L mono)
- Audio Outputs:2 x XLR (balanced), 2 x 1/4" (R/L mono)
- Headphones:1 x 1/4"
- USB:1 x Type B (to host), 1 x Type A (to device)
- MIDI I/O:In/Out
- Pedal Inputs:2 x 1/4" (sustain, damper)
- Pedal Included:Yes, FC3A
- Power Supply:Standard IEC AC cable
- Weight:41 lbs.
- Manufacturer Part Number:CP88