Throughout his life, Yairi collected an incredible amount of tonewood, and while most of it is in or around the Alvarez factory, some was stored on a piece of land Yairi owned some miles away from the factory. On every trip to the Yairi factory in Kani, Gifu-Japan, the Alvarez team would go and see the wood, and it eventually became a ritual after lunch as most of the supply had darkened due to the elements of the environment.
One day, the Alvarez team suspected that Yairi may have had a supply of Honduran mahogany on his land, and so the team traveled there again. What they found was pure gold—perfectly conditioned billets of old growth Honduran mahogany that had been naturally seasoning for approximately 50 years.
This series of Alvarez guitars celebrates this tonewood and the Yairi’s lifelong commitment to his art.
In crafting this guitar, Alvarez paired the mahogany with AAAA Adirondack spruce, and an OM model is available in all-solid Honduran. Sonically, these models are incredibly full and powerful with huge, clear bass and mids. Additionally, the quality and seasoning of these woods help make this guitar very light in weight, which helps when it comes to tone. The stiffness of the Adirondack spruce helps in creating more energy, and when paired with the mahogany, generates a stunning warm and open voice with powerful, clear bass and middle frequencies.
The Alvarez GYM70CESHB also boasts custom, hand-cut FST2 bracing, which is a forward shifted X and the top is expertly tuned during the carving of this system. The one-piece mahogany neck has been spoke shaved by hand and the other appointments include Gotoh 510 tuners, bone saddle and nut, a flawless, thin poly finish and subtle Paua abalone and mother of pearl inlays.
- AAAA Adirondack spruce top on a mahogany body
- One-piece mahogany neck with an ebony fretboard
- Ebon direct coupled bridge, real bone nut and saddle
- Gold Gotoh 510 tuners with ebony buttons
- Hardshell case included
- Body Shape: Grand Auditorium
- Top: AAAA Adirondack spruce
- Back & Sides: Mahogany
- Bracing system: Hand-carved FST2, scalloped forward shifted X, asymmetric scalloped tone bars
- Neck type: One-piece
- Nut width: 1 23/32” (44mm)
- Neck wood: Mahogany
- Neck joint: Dovetail
- Scale length: 25.5” (648mm)
- Fingerboard: Ebony with 12th fret Paua inlay
- Inlays: Paua Abalone and Mother of Pearl
- Tuners: Gotoh 510’s, gold with ebony buttons
- Bridge: Ebony direct coupled
- Bridge Pins: Ebony
- Saddle & nut: Real bone
- Headstock Plate: Ebony
- Case: Alvarez DC1 Deluxe hardshell
- Binding: Ivoroid
- Strings: D’Addario EXP16
Check with manufacturer for specific parts and labor warranty.