An Authentic-sounding Hendrix-inspired Amp from PRS
Classic British sound with modern perks
Heavily inspired by the amp Jimi Hendrix played through at the legendary Woodstock music festival, the HDRX 20 includes two 5881 power tubes preamp tubes and three 12AX7 preamp tubes. PRS’ amp team hand selected these tubes for this lower-wattage HDRX head. The 5881s in particular were found to deliver thick but articulate tone that excels in a lower-wattage format. Put to work, this tube head exhibits incredible responsive output that lets you go from clean chime to crunchy grime just by altering your dynamics and attack. Push the HDRX 20 to its upper limits, and you'll experience clear, aggressive tones that sing smoothly and sweetly when you back off. Beyond that, this amplifier is quieter than its vintage counterpart, thanks to an updated power supply and filament design — you can crank the HDRX 20 to the max with astonishingly low levels of hum and hiss.
Familiar controls with modern-day flexibility
The PRS HDRX 20’s controls mirror those of a historic British non-master-volume amplifier. A 3-band equalizer gives you ample tone shaping; a 2-way bright switch and High Mid Gain switch offer further sonic customization. You also get a Presence control for dialing in your upper harmonics. The guitarists here at Irvine Art & Music have found the HDRX 20's controls to be familiar for guitarists familiar with vintage non-master-volume amps. That being said, this new HDRX iteration includes a master volume knob, so you can now adjust the output to taste — a must-have for getting the most out of this low-wattage head.
Convenient internally bridged channels
Classic players of British non-master-volume amps often jumped both amp channels simultaneously for a resulting gain boost — that's where the amplifier's magic lies. The HDRX 20 eliminates the need for an external jumper cable by bridging its two channels internally. The front panel offers two independent volume controls for easy blending of its boosted, bright Lead channel and its flatter-sounding Bass channel. Such a convenient, contemporary design makes dialing in the HDRX 20’s distortion a piece of cake.
PRS HDRX 20 Tube Head Features:
- 20W tube guitar amplifier head gives the HDRX series a smaller lower-wattage overhaul
- Heavily inspired by Jimi Hendrix's Woodstock-era amp
- 2 x 5881 power tubes for thick but articulate tone that drives and breaks up beautifully at lower wattages
- 3 x 12AX7 pre-amp tubes
- Master volume knob (new to the HDRX series) — saturated low-volume tones are now easy to achieve without external attenuators
- Incredible dynamic range — achieve everything from clean chime to crunchy grime by altering picking pressure
- Familiar 3-band equalizer gives you ample tone shaping
- 2-way bright switch and High Mid Gain switch offer further sonic customization
- Presence control for dialing in your upper harmonics
- Internally bridged channels eliminates the need for external jumping
- Per-channel Volume controls for easy blending of channels
- Number of Channels:2
- Total Power:20W
- Preamp Tubes:3 x 12AX7
- Power Tubes:2 x 5881
- EQ:3-band EQ
- Inputs:1 x 1/4"
- Outputs:1 x 1/4" (16 ohm), 2 x 1/4" (8/16 ohm), 2 x 1/4" (4/8 ohm)
- Power Source:Standard IEC AC cable
- Weight:27.6 lbs.
- Manufacturer Part Number:108456::ST--: